Thanks for volunteering with the Science Kitchen!
We couldn’t do what we do without all of YOU. You are inspiring the future generations of scientists, mathematicians, and engineers by making the topics come alive for these students!
Thanks for making STEM happen for the students of Wyoming.
(Please check your email for more details.)
We are currently looking for volunteers to help with:
Wednesday, April 13:
We will be hosting K-2nd grade students from Sunrise Elementary. Please see your email for specific details!
Monday, April 25:
We will be hosting an on-campus enrichment day for participants of the Wyoming State Science Fair. These will be hands-on activities for 7th-12th grade students. Please see your email for specific details!
Thrilling high-altitude balloon launch with middle schoolers up in Riverton. This is a 2-day commitment, with an overnight stay in Riverton. Meals and lodging are covered. If interested, please contact Phil Bergmaier ASAP (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Wednesday, April 13:
We will be hosting first grade students from Pioneer Park Elementary. Please see your email for specific details!
Saturday Planetarium Activities: The UWYO Planetarium does family-oriented shows on Saturday afternoons (2-3pm). We regularly offer short, hands-on activities after these shows (starting at 3pm, these usually take around 15-30 minutes, depending on the activity). Below are the upcoming shows and tentatively planned activities:
- April 9: Max Goes to the Moon, activity: straw/alka-seltzer rockets
- April 16: Distant Worlds — Alien Life?, activity: TBD
- April 23: From Earth to the Universe, activity: TBD
- April 30: Mexica Archaeoastronomy, activity: TBD
Future events to keep on the radar:
- Week of April 18 – 22: Earth week! In conjunction with the Wyoming Chapter of the American Chemical Society, we will be planning activities for local pre-school and elementary schools. Activities being planned involve making red dye from Coccoidea, exploring bioluminescence (using glo sticks), and exploring the chemistry of scent.
- Tuesday, May 17th: 22nd Annual Women in STEM conference for Wyoming 7th-12th graders. We are currently recruiting presenters for hands-on, in-person workshops.If you are interested, please email MegDiane@uwyo.edu or fill out our online form with information about your workshop. If you can’t present a workshop, but would still like to be involved, we are also looking for volunteers for both the in-person and virtual conference! If you are interested in volunteering, please let us know through this survey.
Past Spring 2022 Events
Science Kitchen Supply Inventory
We are currently updating our list of STEM outreach supplies to make it more user friendly, however you can see take a look at our old inventory list to get an idea of what we have to offer!
Ready Made Lessons
More coming soon!
Dry Ice (states of matter)
During this activity, students will get to explore the chemistry of dry ice – what is it? Does it exist as a liquid? What happens when we add hot or cold water to the dry ice? What hap-pens when we add soap to dry ice? Hand sanitizer? Food coloring? Can we blow up a balloon using dry ice? View Activity Guide Here
Explore states and properties of matter, chemical reactions, and more in this ‘cool’ demo! View Activity Guide Here
Exploring Electricity (penny batteries)
Explore the basic principals of batteries and electricity in this hands-on activity that ends with students building their own lightbulb out of pennies. View Activity Guide Here
Students explore the engineering design process as they design, build, test, and redesign straw rockets. Activity Guide Coming Soon!
Scientific Process with Glo Sticks
Young students explore the basic ideas of the scientific process including hypothesizing, variables, and controls in this hands-on activity! View the Activity Guide Here
Created by Nicole Carter and Melanie LaCava.
Students learn about the complexity of food webs and ecosystems while playing a twist on the game Jenga. View the Game Rules Here
The Benefits of Outreach
STEM Outreach Resources
Science Kitchen STEM Outreach Trainings
At our volunteer night, many folks indicated that they would be interested in STEM outreach training, (Please note that these are not required, merely optional.) If you are interested, please take this short survey so we might get a better idea of when to host trainings as well as what topics to focus on.
Our Volunteer recruitment event may be over, but we still need volunteers!
If you are interested in volunteering, sign up here!
Want more information? Email email@example.com
Are you interested in STEM outreach volunteer opportunities?
Please join us on Wednesday, November 10th from 5:30-6:30pm in Classroom Building 142 for an introductory meeting to learn about STEM outreach volunteer opportunities both on and off campus.
Join the Science Kitchen crew, the Learning Actively Mentoring Program (LAMP), the Wyoming Research Scholarship Program (WRSP), College of Engineering (and more) in providing activities for K-12 campus STEM visits and STEM road trips to schools around the state!
Food and drinks provided!
Interested but can’t attend? Email ScienceKitchen@uwyo.edu for more information.